For years, lifting weights was the domain of the gym ‘meat head’. So the theory went, you only lifted weights if you wanted to ‘get big’, yet times are changing, and as a result more and more people are going into the weights room.
The reason is simply – of all of the forms of gym training that you can do, lifting weights has the biggest potential t change how you look fastest. Hard and effective weight training is not easy, but it is dammed effective. What’s more, it isn’t all about building more muscle (seriously!), as a weights program is equally effective and toning you up and blasting away body fat.
Below are 13 benefits to lifting weights that you never knew about until now!
1. Stress busting – Lifting weights is proven to be the most effective form of exercise for relieving stress. Who couldn’t do with some stress relief in the modern world?
2. Proper weight training will strengthen a load of muscles that you never knew existed, yet these muscles dramatically effect our posture. So lifting weights delivers better posture, which is a great side benefit
3. Its clinically proven that lifting weights 3x a week for six months or more makes you happier. People doing this scored higher on mood scores verses those who didn’t lift
4. Toning up with weights makes your clothes fit better. 1LB of body fat takes up more scape then 1lb of muscle, meaning that swopping a pound of fat for a pound of muscle will give you an infinitely better body shape
5. You’ll actually burn more body fat lifting weights then doing hours of cardio. Building muscle burns fat at rest, raising your base metabolic rate
6. Your newly raised metabolic rate means you’ll be burning more calories at rest.
7. Getting strong equals independence – meaning you’re less likely to need help moving heavy objects